[erlang-questions] Waiting for a node to start using run_erl

Magnus Henoch magnus@REDACTED
Mon Jul 1 11:10:46 CEST 2013

Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> writes:

> What is "started" in this case?
>
> A node start is a system startup, much like an OS start. There should
> be a point that you system is "ready" to server/act/etc. Once you
> establish that point, test for for it.
>
> Just as an example of why this isn't always straight forward, consider
> a socket server (e.g. a web server). You might define "ready" as soon
> as the server is accepting connections on a port, which is easy to
> test for. But the server might in fact be ready several seconds later
> as database connections are opened, caches warmed, whatever. So a
> ready test might be a 200 response on a particular http request (which
> is able to test for all those conditions).

A definition of "started" that I have wished for more than once for
run_erl is "all applications have started", i.e. the boot script has
reached {progress,started}.

Regards,
Magnus