[erlang-questions] Can Erlang come under attack?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Feb 15 11:49:05 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Paul Barry <paul.james.barry@REDACTED>wrote:

> I'm not a legal expert, but the Python world is experiencing this issue
> because they didn't acquire "python.co.uk" way back when... and now the
> domain troll that has it has decided to be a bit of a [insert appropriate
> insult here].
>
> In the Erlang world, I'd imagine Ericsson own the copyright to the name
> (and they have an interest in protecting it), and - anyways - we have
> Erlang Solutions based in Europe and they are doing a pretty good job of
> looking after the interests of the community and Erlang's good name, also.

Correct. Ericsson did take out copyright for the name, or possibly even a
trademark. This was done is a number of different countries (a dozen or so,
there were no global ways to do this) - I can't remember the details nor
for how long these agreements last.

Cheers

/Joe