[erlang-questions] Alternatives to Erlang

Wed Feb 13 17:58:03 CET 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Maruthavanan Subbarayan <maruthavanan_s@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am on the way to creating an application which would create atoms dynamically.
>
> These atoms are created because I have user registering into my system and each user has set of 10 mnesia tables to be created. Since atoms has a limitation I am afraid that if 100K users register into my system I may run of atoms for creating tables for more users.
>
> Creating an ETS table with name will give me table identifier with integer. Does a similar thing exists for mnesia too?

You will run out of ETS tables long before you run out of atoms with that solution. You should probably have 10 mnesia tables in all, and then use a key where the user is part. That is, instead of storing `Key` as your key, you store `{User, Key}`. This means you would need 10 tables in all. And the performance would probably be better than keeping a large number of small tables.

As for the atom limit, let users be stored as (small) binaries or integers. Then you avoid that problem entirely. If you need to register a process under a user id, then use the `gproc` application by Ulf Wiger to maintain the lookup table for you. Look at the {via, …} registration in gen_server's for some hint.

Jesper Louis Andersen
  Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen