[erlang-questions] "Automatic" recompile app from a console

Jesse Gumm gumm@REDACTED
Fri Feb 1 21:46:28 CET 2013

I too run Rusty's sync.

There are a few situations where sync breaks down a bit:

1) Includes - sync does not detect changes to include files, and so if you
were to change an include with records, for example, you could end up with
modules that have the old version of the record loaded, and other modules
with the new version of the record loaded.
2) parse_transform - From what I understand, sync has some issue with
parse_transforms.

This is what, as far as I understand, inspired the development of tex/ssync
- which works similarly to sync, but watches all files (even rebar.config,
from what it seems) and relies on rebar to recompile everything, then
reloads the beams. I haven't played with ssync at all, but I've been
meaning to, it seems a worthwhile effort to offload the compiling to rebar
and just watch for file changes to trigger the recompile.

-Jesse

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Jeremy Ong <jeremy@REDACTED> wrote:

> +1 for rustyio/sync.
>
> Haven't had any problems. @John it looks like you are running a released
> version compiled with rebar? Sync or anything else won't work with that
> approach. Load the beam files directly with erl -pa path/to/ebin/dirs
> deps/*/ebin
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@REDACTED>wrote:
>
>> On 1 February 2013 16:40, John Kemp <john@REDACTED> wrote:
>> > This does not seem to work on a Mac FWIW since there is no equivalent
>> of the inotify tools on OS X, for similar reasons to Damian's suggestion.
>> Otherwise (on Linux), it looks promising...
>>
>> I've used rustyio/sync successfully on Windows and Mac, with notifu
>> and growl respectively. More info in the README.md at
>> https://github.com/rustyio/sync
>>
>> The key things I found:
>>
>> - run sync *before* you start editing your erlang files
>> - if the beam doesn't change, nothing will get reloaded
>>
>> A+
>> Dave

Jesse Gumm
Owner, Sigma Star Systems