[erlang-questions] [ANN] Silly benchmarking

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Apr 30 18:42:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 04/30/2013 06:44 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> This is not an announcement of anything -- but [ANN] seems to flag
>> "something I can maybe use" which does apply in this case :)
>>
>> Occasionally I wonder, "what's faster"? It's not often, but it happens.
>>
>> I've found the best way to answer this is to measure things.
>>
>> So I have this silly project:
>>
>> https://github.com/gar1t/erlang-bench
>>
>> It's not rigorous but it's simple and I can experiment quickly with
>> different implementations. My goal is just to get a sense of things --
>> not to formally prove anything.
>>
>> It's so trivial it's almost not worth sharing/reusing -- *however* it
>> may provide value as a distributed repository for what people are
>> interested in. As it's in github there's no ownership -- please feel
>> free to fork and use for your own concerns!
>>
> You might want to look at erlbench here https://github.com/okeuday/erlbench since it has the same basic purpose, and allows you to use different compilation methods now (through the makefile specifying an optimization level).  The erlbench project is also ad-hoc, but it has been enough to produce results in the past.
>
> The other option is trying to use basho_bench here https://github.com/basho/basho_bench, if you are testing key/value storage.

Yes, but you'll notice how *easy* it is to use erlang-bench, which is
nothing more than escript files with a 10 line include file.

I'm an extraordinarily lazy person :)

Though seriously, thanks for the references. If I was more concerned
about benchmark integrity, those might be good options -- but this is
just a sniff test approach to satisfy my curiosity about various
topics.

Garrett