[erlang-questions] Schedulers getting "stuck", part II

Rick Reed rr@REDACTED
Mon Apr 29 17:42:49 CEST 2013

We are still seeing stuck schedulers on R16B although now that I've looked at it,
we've been running with +swt medium (vs. +swt low on R15B) -- I had forgotten I'd
made that change when we first started deploying R16B because I wanted to gauge
whether there had been an improvement.

This is what a sample %cpu distribution looks like in this condition:

97.0
96.3
95.6
95.3
93.6
93.2
92.6
92.1
91.5
90.5
90.3
87.9
87.6
87.5
84.2
83.9
83.6
83.0
82.7
82.2
80.8
79.4
77.9
  2.7
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0
  0.0

When I dug into this a while back on R15B, I think I reached the conclusion that at least with
our workload, the run queues on a scheduler were being drained to <2 often enough (even with
very significant overall load) that wakeup_other_check was keeping wakeup_other below the
limit for wakeup.  Even with an overall scheduler utilization over 75%, our run queues are
quite short.

Rr