[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 06:14:26 CEST 2012

On 22 October 2012 23:46, David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED> wrote:

> From personal experience, I cannot imagine a language superior to English.

What.  A.  Bunch.  Of.  Pure.  Twaddle.

I can't even *imagine* the mentality it would take to hold that view while
working in a field whose foundation is formal logic and maths.  (Or has
"proof by lack of imagination" reached beyond its roots as a logical
fallacy somewhere?)

And to hold English, of all languages, up as the ultimate in superior
languages goes far beyond ignorance and far beyond arrogance.

> I took French for 7 years and still can't speak a lick of it.  Then I
> tried my hand at Mandarin, and the result was a mixture of French and
> Mandarin, since my brain has room in it for only two languages: English and
> "Other".  Now someone wants to throw Hungarian comments into the mix?  My
> brain is about to explode...

So your mental limitations are grounds to do everything in your language.
Got it.  (You do realize that *retarded* people—and I mean *clinically
retarded* here, not Internet retarded—in multilingual environments can
speak more than one language, right?)

There's something verging on the sociopathic here.  "I can't learn other
languages.  It's too hard for my brain.  So I think the 6.5 *billion* other
people whose first language isn't English should be the ones who learn
another language."  Your lack of empathy given your own experiences in
learning a foreign language is simply astonishing to the point of being
pathological.  Seriously, dude, look at what you've said above and ask
yourself why it is that it's OK for you to force others to learn your
language when you've *just acknowledged how hard it is to learn a foreign
language!*