[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 17:46:23 CEST 2012

On Monday, October 22, 2012, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

> If you want to push Erlang to the rest of the world, you need to make it
> accessible to them.

On the other hand, if you're trying to push English to the rest of the world, Erlang seems to be an excellent vehicle.  That might be the secret reason why Ericsson has allowed Erlang to continue on... :-)

>From personal experience, I cannot imagine a language superior to English.  I took French for 7 years and still can't speak a lick of it.  Then I tried my hand at Mandarin, and the result was a mixture of French and Mandarin, since my brain has room in it for only two languages: English and "Other".  Now someone wants to throw Hungarian comments into the mix?  My brain is about to explode...

Seriously, though, if the Erlang team wanted to change Erlang into Swedish only, I wouldn’t object too strenuously since those röck döts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_umlaut) are really cool.  I still think of all those Erlang developers up there as looking like Björn Ulvaeus from ABBA in the 1970's, too.

OK, maybe that wasn’t so seriously.

Rock On,

DBM