[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 16:28:43 CEST 2012

On 22 October 2012 22:16, Max Bourinov <bourinov@REDACTED> wrote:

> Please remember that when we talk about those poor guys that know Erlang
> bud doesn't know English we still don't know for sure if they are exists :-)

Speak for yourself, Max.  Your ignorance of people's existence proves
nothing except your ignorance of people's existence.

I know a few dozen Chinese Erlang hackers, for example.  Yes.  A few *dozen*.

I introduced the language to about a fifth of them.  They introduced it
further within their own communities and companies.  There is Erlang open
source on a variety of Chinese sites (including one run by, I think,
Taobao).  There are at least two major Chinese software firms either using
Erlang in a project or evaluating it for a project.  (And these are, of
course, only the ones I know of.  I lack the arrogance gene that extends my
personal experience to universality so I won't say they're the only two
companies just because I don't know of any others…)

I know, in short, that there are Chinese hackers who hack in Erlang, among
other languages, in their own little community that doesn't interact with
Anglo-only communities except peripherally.  And I have hearsay from others
that similar such hacking communities (not necessarily Erlang) exist in
Japan and in Korea.