[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Yurii Rashkovskii yrashk@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 08:54:44 CEST 2012

Michael,

So you're recommending them to use function names they don't understand but
name variables in a way they will understand and nobody else will?

I always thought naming things in your own language is the first sign of an
amateur programmer. Programming isn't about code. Programming is about
communication. You're fostering global miscommunication.

(For cases when you absolutely can't pick an English word, use
transliteration — requires no change to the parser & the language and is
easily consumable [albeit still poorly understood] by others).

Michael, you're a native English speaker. I am, however, not. I've been
programming since I was seven and rest assured my command of English back
then was very poor. Even more, my native alphabet isn't latin. Yet I am
somehow managed to get through this.

Could it be possible that I am able to communicate with you because of my
passion for programming, which indirectly made me learn English so that I
can understand it better?

Yurii.