[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Fri Oct 19 14:24:15 CEST 2012

> - repeatable builds

it exists in rebar

> - declarative version management

it exists in rebar

> - it is a de facto standard for dependency management in Java world,
> therefore thousands of java libs and other artifacts are available for
> maven users

is it a pro? I really don't care about Java users. It is their problem
that they still have to use Java with its horrible infrastructure.

> - ability to integrate traditional build tools into maven workflow (ant, make)

Great. You have two megabytes of XML for Maven that allows you to
include 20 megabytes of XML for Ant.
Good tool.

> - ability to combine public/private repositories

it exists in rebar.

> - automatic deployment of build artefacts into repository, if desired

it exists in rebar

> - extensibility through plugins

it exists in rebar.

> It is true that XML is not the best format

In fact it is the worsests declarative format.

> but hey, maven was created at the times when XML seemed like a good
> idea and sincerely, it is not The Issue with the tool that is worth
> using as a way to refuse it.

Yes, but rebar can do _everything_ that maven do with a simple and
easy-to-edit config file.