[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Thomas Allen thomas@REDACTED
Thu Oct 18 15:55:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, October 18, 2012 9:46 am, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Patrik Nyblom <pan@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Suggestions for a good definition of a variable name in *any* script
>> will be
>> greatly appreciated!
>
> Is a symbol prefix an acceptable solution? Like '?' for macros and '#'
> for records. Now that we're talking unicode, there are plenty of
> symbols to choose from, but of course it would be better to have one
> that most people have on their keyboards :-)

"\" seems like a suitable prefix ;^)

In all seriousness, "@" wouldn't be too bad for a prefix -- I'd hope
people only use it when [A-Z_] are not an option, but it goes without
saying that an @ prefix will appeal to certain developers, and we begin
seeing signatures foo(@name, @size) -> ... and thus continues the rabbit
hole (@@bar à la Ruby though mutability is not a concern, etc.).

Thomas Allen