[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Oct 17 23:28:42 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM, José Valim
<jose.valim@REDACTED> wrote:
> And since we are talking about possibilities, would it be possible to
> support some flag or configuration that sets the error_handler per node?
> This way, we could remove the inheritance hack from the error_handler and
> developers that need it could achieve the same functionality with their own
> error_handler.
>
> Today the error_handler can only be set via process_flag (afaik) which would
> be hard to wrap properly (since you'd need to remember to set it for each
> new process). This would align well with the general decision of removing
> pmod from OTP but still supporting it as extension.

That's a great suggestion! An alternative to a global setting could be
to let the error_handler setting get inherited by child processes from
their parents. This way just a few roots need to get configured
manually and it also leaves open the possibility to have different
values for different processes.

best regards,
Vlad