[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Fri Oct 5 16:23:35 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Tristan Sloughter
<tristan.sloughter@REDACTED> wrote:
> This thread is still going? How long till it is the longest thread ever on
> the mailing list? (I suspect those are in the 100s though actually, haha).

Since you mentioned it. This thread is still quite far from the top
ones with my email being the 41'st one:
http://m.jakstys.lt/tech/2012/02/erlang-most-popular-subjects/

> But how has this not just ended with the understanding:
>
> a) Yaws for some, can be embedded or used like a stand alone web server and
> is known to be stable, fast and production ready
> b) Cowboy for http library in your app and you like bleeding edge and a
> smaller dependency -- and now even smaller in it self but requires ranch
> c) Ellis for those who don't care to support http
> d) Whatever makes you happy, maybe write your own!
>
> And in my opinion Cowboy REST is now a much better Webmachine than
> Webmachine, due to some changes around handling POST and a few other things.

At least on 0.6.0 cowboy had unexpectedly horrible performance issues
handling big POST requests, like discovered by my colleague[1]. Not
sure if this is now fixed. So *always* measure. Always.

[1]: https://github.com/yfyf/cowboy_bench

--
Motiejus Jakštys