[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Thomas Allen thomas@REDACTED
Fri Oct 5 15:04:08 CEST 2012

On Fri, October 5, 2012 7:53 am, Steve Vinoski wrote:
> Favorite among whom? This is a very broad statement that isn't broadly
> true. There are many Yaws users out there, many Mochiweb users, and I
> bet there are more than a few who still use Misultin.

I'm sorry, I made an unfair generalization. I should've been more
specific: Following this mailing list and discussions in the Freenode
channel for some time, it seems to me that the Cowboy project has a great
deal of momentum. This is not to say that the other tools are somehow
unsuitable or will all die out.

I certainly didn't intend to slight Yaws, which is a perfectly stable,
capable web server, as are the other projects. Perhaps I should have
phrased my recommendation in terms of what the others are good for rather
than comparing them to Cowboy: You can't go wrong with Yaws or MochiWeb
which are proven, stable servers. WebMachine is notably well-suited for
writing RESTful services and focuses on HTTP compliance. Misultin is a
good product but is no longer actively developed or maintained by the
original author, so it is a riskier choice.

Thomas Allen