[erlang-questions] Futures/promises and ability to "call" abstract modules

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Tue Nov 20 17:16:18 CET 2012

On 20 nov 2012, at 16:20, Gleb Peregud <gleber.p@REDACTED> wrote:

> This is yet to be implemented. The idea is to rely on already existing
> implementation of NIF resources - this implies that a user of the
> library would have to always store Pid of garbage collectable process
> (let's call it gcproc) along with that resource in his heap, for
> example as {'gcproc', pid(), resource()} and use special API to do
> sending, killing, linking, monitoring, etc.
>
> Since the resource associated with the process is always stored in
> heap of the process, the resource will not get garbage collected until
> no heap references it. This way we tie together process and resource
> lifetime. And since NIF resources can have a destructor in C which is
> called upon resource is garbage collected, we can make use of it to
> inform gcproc to terminate.
>
> As Patrik pointed out it is not as trivial as it sounds, but still possible.

Maybe git://github.com/tonyrog/resource.git could come in handy.

/Tony

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM, David Mercer <dmercer@REDACTED> wrote:
>> How does that spawned process get garbage collected?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> DBM

>>> undefined
>>> 3> element(2,lists:keyfind('P', 1,
>>> lists:flatten(element(2,erlang:fun_info(F, env))))) ! {value, 10}.
>>> {value,10}
>>> 4> F().
>>> 10
>>> 5>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dmitry Belyaev

>>> pattern:

>>> do F() without any changes?

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"