[erlang-questions] fallocate(FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE) / lseek(SEEK_HOLE / SEEK_DATA) anytime soon ?

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Nov 19 22:04:32 CET 2012

On 20/11/2012, at 6:21 AM, Bernard Fouché wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Is there any chance that the API support these features in a reasonable time?

Out of three operating systems immediately available to me,
two (Solaris, Mac OS X) do not have fallocate, and one (three different
versions of Linux that I am counting as one) does have fallocate() but
insists that it has only an FALLOC_FL_KEEP_SIZE flag.
At its best, fallocate is Linux-specific, and posix_fallocate has
no 'mode' argument, just fd, offset, and size.
All of these operating systems support very large files, and
also support files with holes where nothing was ever created in the
first place.

There is clearly room for Erlang access to operating-system-specific
features, through operating-system-specific modules.