[erlang-questions] recommended ways to pass config to a dep app

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 16:49:18 CET 2012

I'd stick with what is working as well!

But just a point of clarification -- releases are hard for release
engineers, not for end users. I deploy all Erlang projects as releases
for that reason. You get a nice distribution that can be configured
trivially with a single config file and further refined with command
line options.

There is a theoretical downside to asking users to edit Erlang term
files. I treat this as a UI problem to config and so have used
converters from, say YML, to Erlang config files that are run at
startup so users don't get into that layer. But since the Erlang init
process is so central to Erlang itself, I prefer to leverage it rather
than roll something different.

But understood :)