[erlang-questions] recommended ways to pass config to a dep app

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Nov 16 16:30:47 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:

>> IMO application:start/1 is also a bad smell outside dev/test modes.
>> When you deploy as an Erlang release, applications are started by the
>> init system process.
>
> I've tried to use releases in erlyvideo for a year and totally refused from
> then and I don't see even a single reason for me to return back to them. So,
> there is nothing bad in application:start/1, it is a good way to deploy and
> launch system.

Understood. But there is a payoff in getting this to work. Understood though :)

I want to set aside some time to check out Eric Merrit's relcool (I
came up with the name :)

https://github.com/erlware/relcool

> There is a nice startup function now in erlyvideo, that does all setup
> (which differs for runtime and for tests), it loads
> all data from config file.

Reinventing the wheel, but that's cool - it's not a complicated wheel.

> application config file is a bad place for configuring your application,
> because it generates nowadays from app.src and exists somewhere in
> /usr/lib/...
>
> configuration file lives in /etc/

You're confused. App config has nothing to do with app.src and
certainly lives in /etc/

It's the file you pass here:

erl -config CONFIG

Garrett