[erlang-questions] Is there a good source for documentation on BEAM?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon May 21 15:27:52 CEST 2012

The reason for not having documentation of the BEAM instructions is just a
matter of prioritization nothing else.
Given a limited amount of resources we have not focused much on the
internal design documentation, since we have
enough designers knowing this.

I don't think a documentation of these things is so far away now (but no
promise).

I also want to comment regarding stability and compatibility of the .beam
file format and thus instruction set.
We always keep backwards compatibility with 2 major releases. This means
that for example an R15B based system
can load and run .beam files produced with an R13B based system. In
practice this means 3-4 years of compatibility,
The other way around, i.e loading .beam files produced with R15B on an
older system is not supported.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson