[erlang-questions] Support for newcomers and the popularity of Erlang

Daniel Eliasson daniel.eliasson@REDACTED
Tue Mar 20 09:11:28 CET 2012

Hi Wojciech,

I think you should consider what kind of data you're storing and how
you want to use it, and decide on your database from that. Mnesia is
good for a "working database", but wouldn't be my choice for
persistent storage of large amounts of data. You'll hog a lot of RAM
and run into table size limits. Riak seems to be a better choice for
large distributed key-value storage, assuming you can live without
transactions.

But ask yourself: will I need to use this data outside my application?
Do you need to perform analysis, run arbitrary queries on it? If the
answer is yes, I would use PostgreSQL or some other competent
relational database.

Another advantage (a really big one) of having a database with proper
schemas is that you get your datatypes defined in at least one place.
A dynamic language like Erlang combined with a database like Mnesia
that happily stores whatever terms for you easily leads to very ill
defined data structures. That will lead to a lot of pain over time.

Best,
Daniel Eliasson