[erlang-questions] Support for newcomers and the popularity of Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Mar 19 18:45:09 CET 2012

Not sure if you've seen the (admittedly short) tutorials on TrapExit:

http://www.trapexit.org/Distributing_a_Mnesia_schema

A minor comment: you can do this instead:

mnesia:start([{extra_db_nodes, Nodes}])

If you want the nodes to start from a boot script, you can either roll your own the old-fashioned way:

http://www.trapexit.org/OTP_Release_Handling_Tutorial

or use rebar and Reltool:

http://www.metabrew.com/article/erlang-rebar-tutorial-generating-releases-upgrades

In this case, it's better to put the extra_db_nodes setting in the sys.config file:

[…,
 {mnesia, [
                   {extra_db_nodes, [node@REDACTED, node@REDACTED]}
                  ]}

Then, calling mnesia:start() will suffice, given that you've started the node in the right way.

BR,
Ulf W