[erlang-questions] Erlang is the best choice for building commercial application servers

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 19:01:29 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@REDACTED
> wrote:

> Personally, if Erlang shortens time-to-market and software maintenance
> costs, and improves scalability, then I'm all for the competition
> continuing to believe the myths. :-)

The maintainability is a great one for me, but it's also a thing that I
don't see mentioned too often. I'll attribute a lot of it to OTP and its
well defined design practices, but it is usually not too hard for me to
dive in any Erlang project and understand how it works in a matter of a few
hours, maybe days for more complex or less standard stuff.

This is something I cannot say is true of PHP, Python, Javascript, Scheme
or many other languages where I've had or wanted to toy with the code a
bit. You have to usually go for higher level frameworks to understand that,
but Erlang's framework is sitting at a level low enough that it's rather
universal to all code bases.

Know your OTP and you can likely understand a crapload of Erlang projects
without trying too hard. This is a very interesting property to emphasize,
in my opinion.