[erlang-questions] Erlang is the best choice for building commercial application servers

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 17:30:30 CET 2012

Michael Truog wrote:
> I agree that there has been lots of negativity in the past connected with statements at previous startups like:
> 1) "Erlang is just a prototype language"
> 2) "Erlang is only a testing language"
> 3) "Erlang is a ghetto"
>
> I don't believe these statements, but I believe that their existence and continuation is unfortunate.  I think the only thing that may perpetuate these types of statements, is a lack of clear statements about Erlang's intent by current practitioners (as it is meant to exist in current products).  I understand that we have newer products, like RabbitMQ and Riak which can help provide examples of Erlang success within production (much of the previous success coming from ejabberd).  I am just disappointed by how these statements are very persistent, and may often prevent the use of Erlang.

Personally, if Erlang shortens time-to-market and software maintenance
costs, and improves scalability, then I'm all for the competition
continuing to believe the myths. :-)

Miles