[erlang-questions] Documentation error in Diameter AVP specification?

Jeroen Koops koops.j@REDACTED
Thu Mar 15 11:44:00 CET 2012

Hi all,

In the documentation for the Diameter dict-file format, at
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/diameter_dict.html, it says, under the
@messages tag:

> Defines the messages of the application. The section content consists of
definitions of the form specified in
> section 3.2 of RFC 3588, "Command Code ABNF specification".

The examples given show a diameter specified as follows: < Diameter Header:
287, REQ, PXY >

However, RFC3588 specifies that a header should be specified as:

    header = "<" Diameter-Header:" command-id [r-bit] [p-bit] [e-bit]
[application-id]">"

Note the dash in Diameter-Header. Using a dash in a .dia file causes an
error when compiling the file with diameterc, so it seems that diameterc
does not completely follow RFC3588.

Am I misunderstanding something here, or is this a bug for which I can
submit a patch? The best patch I can think of is to modify diameterc in
such a way that both 'Diameter-Header' and 'Diameter Header' are accepted,
with a note in the document saying that 'Diameter Header' is accepted but
deprecated. An easier patch would jus add a note to the documentation
pointing out the difference with the RFC.

--
Jeroen Koops

M: koops.j@REDACTED
T: +31-6-55590300