[erlang-questions] Erlang is the best choice for building commercial application servers

Tim Watson <>
Thu Mar 15 02:27:12 CET 2012

On 15 March 2012 00:44, Jan Burse <> wrote:
> Jan Burse schrieb:
>>  (The scaled column assumes that the 2430 number is CPU
>>  speed; if that's not what it is, ignore that column.)
> Scaling usually doesn't match if different architectures are
> used, i.e. 32-bit vs 64-bit.

Tweaking of benchmarks aside though, they're not really indicative
half the time. One of the classic shootout benchmarks, for example,
has Haskell, Python (!) and even Lisp - maybe that's my ignorance
about Lisp seeping out though - beating all the Java-7

We could go on tweaking benchmarks forever and not learn all that
much. Benchmarking and tuning running systems is much harder, more fun
and profitable.

I found your suggestion about native code generation (which I assume
to be describing a JIT method similar to those used in the JVM/CLR)
interesting though. Care to elaborate - it might bring out some of the
finer points and enliven a discussion about what's good, bad and ugly
about beam and where it is heading - lots of cool improvements keep
happening all the time.