[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang UUID

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Sun Mar 11 09:12:48 CET 2012

It is very easy about GPL.

There is absolutely no sense to use GPL for infrastructure and
easy-repeatable libraries like marshalling or logging, because it will
block their development.

But it is a very good idea to use restrictive GPL or AGPL for
complicated libraries with very expensive business logic. Best example
is libx264.
It is one of the best encoders available and there are almost no
commercial replacements for it than can compare.

And it is GPL. If you want to create a hardware box using this library
and sell it, so go to Jason and pay money to receive the same source
under non-GPL. It is great, because there are no replacements and
these guys have shared this excelent library with community for free.
So let business pay for it.

So, when I hear "I will not use GPL because I can't use other's work
for free" I always ask myself: "hey, what have _you_ done to others?
You are going to earn money with others people work. What are you
sharing with others?". Usually there are no pull-requests from such
people, no commitment. And such people are usually too lazy just to
write email and ask about conditions for non-GPL distribution.