[erlang-questions] More on this: simple_one_by_one trouble and rare start_link/2

Angel J. Alvarez Miguel clist@REDACTED
Fri Jun 22 11:04:38 CEST 2012

i did'nt find any example of mixing args from the supervirsor childspec
and start_child(...) so im going to make my own digging in this issue:

Let see How the simple_one_by_one works...

handle_call({start_child, EArgs}, _From, State) when ?is_simple(State) ->
    Child = hd(State#state.children),
    #child{mfargs = {M, F, A}} = Child,
    Args = A ++ EArgs,
    case do_start_child_i(M, F, Args) of
<------>{ok, undefined} when Child#child.restart_type =:= temporary ->
<------>    {reply, {ok, undefined}, State};
<------>{ok, Pid} ->
<------>    NState = save_dynamic_child(Child#child.restart_type, Pid, Args, State),
<------>    {reply, {ok, Pid}, NState};
<------>{ok, Pid, Extra} ->
<------>    NState = save_dynamic_child(Child#child.restart_type, Pid, Args, State),
<------>    {reply, {ok, Pid, Extra}, NState};
<------>What ->
<------>    {reply, What, State}
    end;

Shouldnt be do_start_child_i(M,F,EArgs) of the form :

do_start_child(M,F,[EArgs]) ??

or the inner call apply(M,F,[A])?

Provided  the docs state that your unique exported funcion must be of arity one you should
expect that code will take measures in order to enforce arity one, enclosing whatever you pass it in a List on the apply phase.

The semanctics of apply use a list to KNOW how many args the target call has, while the
semantics of sup childspec + sup start_child use a list ++ op to know how many args will be passed
to your callback of arity ONE.

So for the apply part all your functions are arity ONE

Without the ability to join Args from the ChildSpec and from the start child call i would concur that you should
enclose in a list whatever you want to be as a sole argument and this code be ok, but as soon as you can put
two or more args one on the ChildSpec and one on the call Sup code must enforce that only one arg APPLY
call is made so you end calling start_link/1 whatever you pass on the args...

Even the DOCS state "[ term() ]"  as the MFA on the ChildSpec

My stdlib-1.18.1.pdf says (Pag 369)

"start_child(SupRef, ChildSpec) -> startchild_ret()
Types:
SupRef = sup_ref()
ChildSpec = child_spec() | (List :: [term()])

...If the case of a simple_one_for_one supervisor, the child specification defined in Module:init/1 will be
used and ChildSpec should instead be an arbitrary list of terms List. The child process will then be started by
appending List to the existing start function arguments, i.e. by calling apply(M, F, A++List) where {M,F,A}
is the start function defined in the child specification."

Here IMHO lies the error, as A is a list we have  [any()...] ++ [any()...] is a list [any()...,any()...] and thats get us an apply
call of arity > 1 ALWAYS even when you chilkdspec has a {M,F,[]} and you try provide a [..] in your start_child it will fail
unless both argslists are void.

So a combination of:

init(Opts) ->
  io:format("[GROUP SUP] Ready to manage MuC with opts: ~p\'s\n",[Opts]),

   {ok, {
         {simple_one_for_one, 1, 60},
         [
            {mucfsm,      {sim_group_fsm,      start_link, [arg1,arg2]},  transient, 60, worker, [sim_group]}
         ]
         }
   }.

and a client that makes a call like:
    {ok,ChildPid} = supervisor:start_child(SupPid,[arg3,arg4]),

Gets you a final apply call {M,F,A} where A is in the form [arg1,arg2,arg3,arg4]
not [[arg1,arg2,argf3,arg4]] at is should be when you intent to call a start_link/1....

Erlang R15B01 (erts-5.9.1) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

[QuickCheck] [PropEr] [Erl0MQ]
Starting simple_one_by_one group supervisor...
[GROUP SUP] staring with argument: [{option1,40}]
Eshell V5.9.1  (abort with ^G)
1> [GROUP SUP] Ready to manage MuC with opts: [{option1,40}]'s
Adding a child dynamically...
{"init terminating in do_boot",{{badmatch,{error,{'EXIT',{undef,[{sim_group_fsm,start_link,[arg1,arg2,arg3,arg4],[]},{supervisor,do_start_child_i,3,[{file,"supervisor.erl"},{line,319}]},{supervisor,handle_call,3,[{file,"supervisor.erl"},{line,344}]},
{gen_server,handle_msg,5,[{file,"gen_server.erl"},{line,588}]},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,"proc_lib.erl"},{line,227}]}]}}}},[{test,main,0,[{file,"test.erl"},{line,11}]},{init,start_it,1,[]},{init,start_em,1,[]}]}}

/Angel