[erlang-questions] [ANN] SublimErl v0.2 - with code completion

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Jun 17 21:54:33 CEST 2012

Hi!

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1@REDACTED> wrote:
> Why would I use Sublime Text 2 over Eclipse/ErlIDE or so?  I really,
> like really cannot stand Eclipse, tends to start eating a few gigs of
> memory then saying it is out of handles then just kind of vanishes
> after a time (on windows, linux, multiple variations of each, no
> plugins installed, multiple java versions, etc...), so looking for a
> replacement would be nice.  The code-completion alone is the one of
> the largest reasons I do not use Emacs (yes I know Emacs has code
> completion but it is rather clunky), and Eclipse code completion is
> not very quick (cannot keep up with my typing speed), and it appears
> to have tabbed support, so I am curious what else is there that makes
> it a good replacement, such as does it handle any sort of code
> editor with code completion)?

This gets a little out of topic, but you might want to know that we
are working hard to improve the response time for Erlide and the plan
is to get a new engine somewhere at the end of the summer. Also, the
completion uses Ctrl-Space instead of tab; you can bind another key
like Tab but that may disable other functionality and you need to do
it for every new workspace.

Regarding Eclipse as a memory and resources hog, I fully agree. It's
far from optimal, but for me the advantages are balancing this. I will
confess that part of these advantages are things that I am planning to
implement, so I am aware that few others have the same attitude :-)

best regards,
Vlad