[erlang-questions] starting with long name fails

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Jun 13 23:10:04 CEST 2012

Hi!

I am a little confused, hopefully someone can get me on the right track.

I noticed that on some machines, when starting "erl -name foo", I get
an error "Can't set long name!". I suppose this is because the machine
doesn't have a properly configured FQDN?

Also, I don't know where I had gotten this idea from, but I was using
"erl -name foo@REDACTED". This works fine with any weird value for the
host name, but of course there will be problem if the real host name
isn't "mypc.com". Given that sometimes (as above) the runtime checks
for a valid host name, why does it allow anything if specified on the
comman line? (Needless to saay, I got in some delicate situation
because of this :-)

best regards,
Vlad