[erlang-questions] SNMP Notify Target

Dick Oyen royen@REDACTED
Fri Jul 27 14:42:46 CEST 2012

The original mail is at http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-July/067981.html and is included in this reply.

Thanks for the advice on the {force_load, true} option in agent.config. It got the target address loaded.

I am continuing to investigate why the snmpa:send_notification/6 tries to get the target address from snmpa_target_cache (which contains only {state, invalid}) rather than a table that contains the target address (observer Table Viewer shows that table snmp_local_db1_shadow contains the target address and params).

From: DefacedVR [mailto:vladislav.chugunov@REDACTED]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 6:35 AM
To: erlang-programming@REDACTED
Cc: Dick Oyen; erlang-questions@REDACTED; Dick Oyen
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] SNMP Notify Target

пятница, 27 июля 2012 г., 0:12:14 UTC+4 пользователь Dick Oyen написал:
>Unfortunately there were no responses to my original question, but I have been
 Can you provide link to the previous mail?
using debugger to step through Erlang snmp code to see what is happening.

The snmpa:send_notification/6 (indirectly) calls
snmpa_target_cache:get_targets/1, which returns [].

That seems to be because start:application(snmp) decided not to read
target_addr.conf or target_params.conf; the reason for its decision was that
snmp_target_mib:configure/2 finds that the target params table already exists.
It exists because start:application(snmp) had created, but not populated it.
QUESTION: Can someone tell me if there is some option and where I should use
the option to get the target_addr.conf to be read into the table?
There is option {force_load, true}   from http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/snmp_app.html

Next I experimented with forcing the file to be read into the table by running
the following from my agent erl command window:

    snmp_target_mib:reconfigure("snmp/agent/conf").

The effects of this showed up two tables in the Table Viewer of 'observer':

First, snmpa_target_cache contained a single record shown as a 2-tuple of column values:
{state, valid}

Second, snmp_local_db_shadow contained (among 26 rows) the following 4 rows
shown as 2-tuples of column values below:

{{snmpTargetAddrTable,first},    {undef,"testMIBMyFirstCoolTrap","testMIBMyFirstCoolTrap"}}

{{snmpTargetAddrTable,"testMIBMyFirstCoolTrap"},   {{"testMIBMyFirstCoolTrap",[1,3,6,1,2,1,100,1,1],[127,0,0,1,0,162],5000,3,"tag1","MyCoolTrapParams",3,1,"agent's engine",[],2048},first,first}}

{{snmpTargetParamsTable,first},   {undef,"MyCoolTrapParams","MyCoolTrapParams"}}

{{snmpTargetParamsTable,"MyCoolTrapParams"},   {{"MyCoolTrapParams",1,2,"initial",1,3,1},first,first}}

Wow, that's great, so I called snmpa:send_notification/6 again.

Unfortunately, snmpa_target_cache:get_targets/1 still returns [] because
ets:match(?CACHE, {{'_','$1'},'$2'} is looking at the table that contains only
{state,valid}.

Thus, the information from target_addr.conf and target_params.conf is in some
rows in a table, but not the table that the code seems to be looking at.
QUESTION: Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?