[erlang-questions] Erlang plugin for IntelliJ IDEA

Sergey Ignatov <>
Thu Jul 26 10:26:17 CEST 2012


Hi guys,

Thanks for discussion.
Yesterday's release had the main goal: to get feedback from users. So, I got it.

Tim said very good words about tools development:
> I suspect it was because the IntelliJ extension framework provides a very rich environment for binding, indexing and working with complex metadata, linking this to the editor and providing superlative navigation and refactoring capabilities. A lot of the donkey work is done for you already with IntelliJ.
> Personally what I would love to see is some standard Apis emerge for useful operations that all the editors require. This is probably the most realistic sharing of code between different environments being developed in parallel.
> Die hard emacs users are unlikely to move because they do everything in emacs. The same is likely true for vi users. Having a common framework for working with otp code and metadata based on syntax tools et al is probably the best way for all the IDE efforts to help one another.

I started Erlang plugin for IntelliJ because it's much easy to create
a good language support than in another platform. And sure, I prefer
IntelliJ for product development.

Roberto, I probably got your point: provides a unit tests runner like
IndelliJ and RubyMine does, right?

Some  words about future plans: I would like to get feedback from
users to issue tracker, sort issues by priority and begin to implement
them as far as possible.
But I'm limited in my time/resources because this plugin is my pet
project, not a full time job.
Possibly, I'll develop Erlang plugin as `20% project` at my work.

Once again, If you are interested in my project, please create issues
with bugs or feature requests in the issue tracker:
https://github.com/ignatov/intellij-erlang/issues

I beleive that plugin can grow into a full-fledged Erlang language support.

Sergey Ignatov


On 26 July 2012 10:47, Andrzej Sliwa <> wrote:
> maybe because not all of us like sublime text…
> maybe because some of use using rubymine or intellij and wants to have only
> one tool…
>
> c'mon could be a 1000 good reasons
>
> same question question for you…
> why you decide to make own one for sublime instead improve existing already
> erlang-mode with distel in emacs :P
>
> On Jul 26, 2012, at 3:43 AM, Roberto Ostinelli <> wrote:
>
> may i ask you why you decided to start another plugin, instead of
> contributing to one of the existing projects that is?
>
> do you plan on supporting testings? that's the reason that made me start
> sublimerl.
> https://github.com/ostinelli/sublimerl
>
> r.
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Sergey Ignatov <> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I'm happy to announce the pre-alpha version of Erlang support
>> plugin for IntelliJ Platform based products, e.g. IntelliJ IDEA,
>> RubyMine etc.
>>
>> At the moment there are such basic features:
>>  - Syntax and errors highlighting
>>  - References resolving
>>  - Code completion for functions, records and variables
>>  - Keyword code completion
>>  - Rename refactoring for modules, functions, records and variables
>>  - Safe delete refactoring
>>  - Structure view
>>  - Find usages
>>  - Code commenting/uncommenting
>>  - Brace matching
>>  - Basic code formatter
>>
>> Plugin page in IntelliJ repository:
>> http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/?pluginId=7083
>> Source code: https://github.com/ignatov/intellij-erlang
>>
>> If you are interesting in this pluging, feel free to use the issue
>> tracker: https://github.com/ignatov/intellij-erlang/issues
>>
>> Stay tuned.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sergey Ignatov
>> _______________________________________________
>> erlang-questions mailing list
>> 
>> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> erlang-questions mailing list
> 
> http://erlang.org/mailman/listinfo/erlang-questions
>
>



More information about the erlang-questions mailing list