[erlang-questions] Erlang plugin for IntelliJ IDEA

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Thu Jul 26 07:47:57 CEST 2012

On 26 Jul 2012, at 02:43, Roberto Ostinelli <roberto@REDACTED> wrote:

> may i ask you why you decided to start another plugin, instead of contributing to one of the existing projects that is?

I suspect it was because the IntelliJ extension framework provides a very rich environment for binding, indexing and working with complex metadata, linking this to the editor and providing superlative navigation and refactoring capabilities. A lot of the donkey work is done for you already with IntelliJ.

Personally what I would love to see is some standard Apis emerge for useful operations that all the editors require. This is probably the most realistic sharing of code between different environments being developed in parallel.

Die hard emacs users are unlikely to move because they do everything in emacs. The same is likely true for vi users. Having a common framework for working with otp code and metadata based on syntax tools et al is probably the best way for all the IDE efforts to help one another.