[erlang-questions] Erlang and bbcode

Joe Armstrong <>
Fri Jul 13 13:04:26 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Richard O'Keefe <> wrote:
> I wonder if other people are getting the same take-home lesson from bbcode
> that I am?  It's
>  - we've had adequate notations for describing syntax since
>    1960, so why, more than 50 years later, are we using notations
>    presented in an informal and incomplete way?
>  - we've known about the importance of testing for nearly as long,
>    so why, in the 21st century, are things like Markdown and BBcode
>    promulgated without a common set of test cases?

But tests are used to see if the implementation corresponds to the
Since they have no specification, their can't really be any tests.

Or worse, in the absence of a specification, the tests *become* the

Thus if the first implementation of XXX was stupid all re-implementations
would also have to be stupid (as is the case)