[erlang-questions] Selective receive optimization for NIFs

Paul Davis <>
Mon Jul 9 00:53:52 CEST 2012

I've got a bit of a curious question in relation to OTP-8623 (which is
the selective receive for a newly created ref skips messages in the
inbox). Apparently this doesn't appear to apply to messages generated
from NIFs. Or at least, not in the code I've got.

I did spend some time trawling around erts internals but the few
references I found weren't enough for the whole thing to click. I'll
paste the sample test code I've been using in case I'm doing something
supremely silly.

Paul Davis