[erlang-questions] Erlang VM Documentation

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Mon Feb 27 18:36:45 CET 2012

I started a small beam project a couple of years ago.
The aim was to document and give semantics to beam instruction using Erlang.

You can find it here:

git://github.com/tonyrog/beam.git

using beam_emu:run(Mod, Func, Args)  you can even run simple beam code,
it is complete and may never be, but can serve as inspiration?

/Tony

On 27 feb 2012, at 17:34, Riccardo Massari wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a newbie of the Erlang world and I have a question:
>
> "Is there an official Erlang VM Documentation?"
>
> I need opcodes description and best practices, to use the VM properly
> in order to build a Python-Erlang (beam) compiler for a university exam.
> I found a blog listing opcodes [1], a PDF with the history of the
> Erlang VM [2] and
> something else but nothing exhaustive and complete.
>
> Am I searching in the wrong way? Can you help me?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> [1] http://azunyanmoe.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/erlang-vm-opcodes
> [2] http://www.erlang-factory.com/upload/presentations/247/erlang_vm_1.pdf

"Installing applications can lead to corruption over time. Applications gradually write over each other's libraries, partial upgrades occur, user and system errors happen, and minute changes may be unnoticeable and difficult to fix"