[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Roberto Ostinelli roberto@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 22:11:38 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:

> FWIW, as has perhaps become evident, as we needed to pick a web server
> here at Feuerlabs, we had an open-ended discussion about the different
> alternatives, then decided to go with Yaws. First off, we will do our best
> to steer clear of tying ourselves to hard to any particular web server API,
> but I don't see that as a big problem. If we decide to change later on, it
> will be a small effort in our case.
>
> We chose to start with yaws for exactly the reasons that have come up
> here. It's battle-proven, has remained stable over the years, and doesn't
> appear to have any big problems keeping up with the new kids on the block
> in terms of speed (at least within the margin of uncertainty given that
> Yaws really does strive hard to be fully compliant - something that means
> something to us, as it will be the point of interface for our external
> customers).
>
> What impresses with Yaws is its long track record and feature list, and a
> quick look at the development activity made it obvious that it is being
> very well looked after.
>
> That said, the energy around Cowboy is impressive too. Our choice was not
> a vote *against* Cowboy, but rather a vote of confidence for Yaws. We have
> other fish to fry.

this is exactly why i took misultin out of the picture.

we discussed about web servers, bob ippolito, steve vinoski and i some
months ago at the riak 1.0 release party (there's proof!
https://twitter.com/#!/ostinelli/status/134183807560593408/photo/1).

in my belief, we should be concentrating our efforts in a common
'low-level' library, on top of which we could build other services. in an
extreme point of view, i even suggested that, should cowboy live up to the
expectations, steve could consider it as being yaws engine, on top of which
it could deliver all the amazing features yaws is capable of. obviously
this ain't gonna happen anytime soon, yaws is way more mature/stable than
cowboy.

my opinion is that there should be mainly two candidates:

. yaws
. cowboy

the different features / ease of maintenante / personal taste, etc. should
be the discriminating factors.

i would _personally_ use (please, read the IMHO statement really loud in
your head):

. yaws - for blown-up web applications with templates, etc;
. cowboy - for API / REST related stuff, or for building custom non-http
protocols.

95% of my usage is in developing protocols and backend APIs, hence my added
interest in cowboy.

cowboy adding webmachine's REST-like support was the decisive move that
made me go for my decision in stopping public support for misultin
(obviously, it is still used in production and probably will be for some
time).

on a final note, i want to say that i'm really glad of the open source
community reaction. it has acted very mature upon my decision,
understanding the reasons and sharing the outcomes we all hope this may
have.

now let's continue building amazing stuff ^^_

r.