[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 17:10:04 CET 2012

On 17 Feb 2012, at 16:06, Steve Vinoski wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:
>>

>> I think this is no longer true. My impression is that yaws development has
>> picked up again, Looking at the change log for the releases in the past year
>> or two [1], it is obvious that it is being actively maintained. This is also
>> apparent from the github stats [2]. And yaws now comes with generic support
>> for the various forms of JSON RPC (1.1 and 2.0), HAXE, SOAP, and even
>> WebSockets. One of the few things I miss is WebMachine support. :)
>>
>> [1] http://yaws.hyber.org/
>> [2] https://github.com/klacke/yaws/contributors
>
> Very true, Ulf. And we'll get you that webmachine support soon.

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist, Steve. :-)

FWIW, as has perhaps become evident, as we needed to pick a web server here at Feuerlabs, we had an open-ended discussion about the different alternatives, then decided to go with Yaws. First off, we will do our best to steer clear of tying ourselves to hard to any particular web server API, but I don't see that as a big problem. If we decide to change later on, it will be a small effort in our case.

We chose to start with yaws for exactly the reasons that have come up here. It's battle-proven, has remained stable over the years, and doesn't appear to have any big problems keeping up with the new kids on the block in terms of speed (at least within the margin of uncertainty given that Yaws really does strive hard to be fully compliant - something that means something to us, as it will be the point of interface for our external customers).

What impresses with Yaws is its long track record and feature list, and a quick look at the development activity made it obvious that it is being very well looked after.

That said, the energy around Cowboy is impressive too. Our choice was not a vote *against* Cowboy, but rather a vote of confidence for Yaws. We have other fish to fry.

Steve, I'll be expecting a nice cold beer when we see each other at the SF Erlang Factory. ;-)

BR,
Ulf W