[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 06:52:47 CET 2012

Hi,

I have a small quibble (not trying to flame here), but isn't a comparison
between Yaws and Mutlisin a case of apples and oranges?

 From a developer's perspective, Yaws is a webserver in the Apache+PHP
sense or IIS+.Net sense. Mutlisin (Mochiweb/Cowboy) are web server
libraries in the libmicrohttpd sense. Nitrogen, Erlang-web and Erlyweb are
web-frameworks in the Django/CakePHP sense. While webmachine is uniquely
on its own.

Yaws is about *serving* dynamic and static *content*? You'd consider using
Cowboy & Co' to develop "a yaws" if you were starting a yaws-like project
afresh in 2012. While you'd consider using yaws to develop a new
django-like framework for Erlang.

I'm yet to come across an Erlang web-server that is in the Yaws category
that has it's features and thoughtful design. I know of only Inets that's
also in this category.

So I always find it curious when Yaws is lumped into discussions where
it's strengths and focus don't fit at all.

Addressing some of your concerns:

Modularity - If you think of yaws as a web-application server that never
goes down and can run many applications, you'd find that it's very very
modular (appmonds/yapps). If it's modularity of the code-base itself that
your referring to, well, it doesn't look bad to me. I learned Erlang
largely by reading Yaws source code.

Usability - Development with yaws is the reverse of the popular web-libs.
You use yaws to "serve", cache, log and session manage one or more of your
web-apps (dynamic and static content) as opposed to using
Mutlisin/Mochiweb/Cowboy to write a web-app that serves, caches, and logs
itself and manages it's own sessions.

(In)activity - I personally haven't found many features that I've wanted
to be added to yaws itself, so it could be a case of feature saturation
rather than an under-developed legacy code-base. Most things that don't
exist, you can use from your app code without it being in yaws coz of the
way it's designed. For instance, I don't much like yaws' dynamic content
creation features (ehtml/ssi/yssi). Instead, I frequently use the ErlTL
template module from Erlyweb (without erlyweb).

That said, sometimes, for some projects, I find yaws overkill and reach
for one of the newer light webserver libs (usually when the app needs to
expose a simple web-API). But for most web projects with lots of content
(and where development time is scarce), I find using those libs would have
me duplicating a lot of the great work already done in yaws, so I reach
for yaws instead.

- Edmond -