[erlang-questions] Misultin EOL

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 00:06:44 CET 2012

On 02/16/2012 01:17 PM, Steve Vinoski wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED> wrote:
>>  Is cowboy going to be able to take the lead on HTTP Erlang web server performance where mochiweb and yaws have been unable to (please don't bother to flame this, those people that don't care about performance, but care about Erlang)?
> I'm not interested in flames either, but I am interested in facts.
> Please back up your assertion by posting your meaningful benchmarks
> that prove that Yaws is lacking in performance.
>
> thanks,
> --steve

It is unfair to say that yaws does not perform like misultin and I do not have data to make that statement.  When I think of performance, I am also thinking of software development performance for modifying, extending, and using the code-base.  Yaws has lacked support once mochiweb was available because of some fragmentation within the community.  From what I have seen, yaws chooses not to focus on performance, and has never intended to do so in the past, so it is unclear whether it would be able to maintain its performance in the future, if it received more support (based on http://steve.vinoski.net/blog/2011/05/09/erlang-web-server-benchmarking/).  So, that was misleading for me to say, since you are probably correct that misultin is on par with yaws, though there are no public results to show that.  With yaws the concern seems to be more about the code being regarded as legacy, not actively developed, and not modular (and whatever other reasons that seemed to make mochiweb
appear necessary).  I say this knowing that you are currently the main maintainer of the code-base.  These are just the impressions I have had from being within the Erlang community for a few years.

- Michael