[erlang-questions] Large-scale Erlang in practice

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Feb 14 17:02:50 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:
> On 7 February 2012 11:27, Mihai Balea <mihai@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> I wish there was an "official" standalone version of gen_server2. Rabbitmq
>> includes it, the Erlang rabbitmq client includes it as well, riak_core too
>> plus a variety of individuals like Tim have created standalone versions
>> based on one of the above. If one attempts to combine, say, riak_core with
>> the rabbitmq erlang client, frustration ensues.
>>

> Actually this issue (of duplicate uses of the same module name) has to do
> with lack of namespace/package support and isn't so simple to solve

I'm a little late to the party.

The issue as I see is the amazing presumptuousness of these projects
to usurp the "gen_server" prefix. At the very least, they could have
appended a random hash of their project name to avoid this silly
conflict :)

Garrett