[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Radek poprosturadek@REDACTED
Sat Feb 11 23:36:10 CET 2012

I'm still a novice, but I can clearly say that Erlang is a nice language
to play with; There is short period of time needed to convert the
working prototype to full solution, since it's sometimes just the case
of clearing/adding some API (because you already use gen_server,
gen_fsm, ...) etc.

Moreover, I think that many times it's just simpler to use Erlang
compared to Java/C++/... because you don't have such difference from
model (when it's said "sending message from object A to object B) to
implementation. In Erlang you actually send a message and don't have to
bother to properly implement Observer pattern and all that stuff. So
it's a huge advantage of both Erlang style on concurrency & functional
programming.

I was just wondering if making it on JVM wouln't be a good idea, but I
realized I didn't put some thing under consideration (like safety and
truly fault-tolerance). And, it seems it's easier to make Erlang faster
by researching for better algorithm/solution or sacrificing some
performance for overall better (in terms of speed/reliability ratio)
quality of product than trying to make things to work the same way on
platform(-s) that wasn't designed for it in the first place.

Greetings,
Radek