[erlang-questions] The future of Erlang and BEAM

Sat Feb 11 23:06:57 CET 2012

On 2/11/12 11:34 AM, Radek wrote:

> So the question arises: is Erlang still the best platform to build
> such demanding applications ? Wouldn't it be better if we stick to
> one, very mature (J)VM and try to make it even better than trying to
> achieve something similar with less resources available (size of OTP
> team vs. JVM team, supporters, etc) ? And is it possible at all to
> achieve this kind of performance and adoption with BEAM ?

Performance is but one of many aspects of writing a program. Usually
performance is possible, but bounded by human time spent. That is, if
you have limited time, say 3 days, to implement something then usually
the solutions are very different performance wise. One of the distinct
advantages of Erlang is how fast you can build up prototypes and make
them run. This means you have ample time to sit back and tune your
system for better performance. You have more time to change algorithms
and tune for faster execution.

Another strength of Erlang is that programs can evolve. Adding another
process with a certain responsibility or altering the internal
implementation of a process is easy: the messages passed forces an API
between your components. This yields a system where you can gradually
build it up over time.

Erlang is a rarely seen triumvirate: fault-tolerance,
distribution+message passing, and functional sequential programming. You
often see other systems implementing one or two of those, but I have not
yet seen all three implemented in another language. This places Erlang
in a niche, and I think many people who do take time to learn the
details enjoy the ideology of Erlang as a fabric for program construction.

--
Jesper Louis Andersen
   Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen, DK