[erlang-questions] Large-scale Erlang in practice

Miles Fidelman <>
Tue Feb 7 22:38:25 CET 2012

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 20:49, Miles Fidelman<>  wrote:
> I'm starting to think that a smalltalk-like toolset would be great for
> Erlang - browsers, inspectors, etc. for a long-running environment.  A lot
> of the pieces already exist, it would seem to be a matter of integration.
> This is something that I have in mind for the future of erlide. It's
> not as easy as it seems, especially as one has to invent new ways to
> present information: for example, overviewing a system with several
> thousands of processes...
Maybe borrow from:

- operations management tools (e.g., as used to monitor lots of servers
and services in a data center), and,

- some of the emerging social network analysis tools and visualizations
(e.g., as used to analyze communications patterns in a social network,
particularly by the intelligence community)

These sort of suggest:
- big picture visualizations of process status and message flows
- browsers and inspectors for drilling down into specific processes,
message flows, specific messages

Of course those are operations management and debugging tools.
Something like a Smalltalk class browser might be nice for editing and
distributing code modules  - maybe tied to functions for visualizing and
inspecting where those modules and functions are currently being
instantiated in processes.

Just some random thoughts.

Miles Fidelman