[erlang-questions] Large-scale Erlang in practice

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Fri Feb 3 20:15:58 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 19:57, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:

>> 1) I'm considering writing some nifs that allow me to send UDP
>> datagrams without going through a mailbox scan. For syslog and
>> statistics, this would be a perfectly fine thing to do.
>

> It was invented about year or more ago for gen_server:call.
>
> Instruction like "look for incoming message, but only beginning from mark"

I believe Max means the change done in R14A:

    OTP-8623  == compiler erts hipe stdlib ==

	      Receive statements that can only read out a newly created
	      reference are now specially optimized so that it will execute
	      in constant time regardless of the number of messages in the
	      receive queue for the process. That optimization will benefit
	      calls to gen_server:call(). (See gen:do_call/4 for an example
	      of a receive statement that will be optimized.)