[erlang-questions] Erlang Process Notation?

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 10:50:11 CET 2012

Hi Max,

You might want to have a look at Object Process Methodology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_Process_Methodology

The thing that makes OPM stand out is that it makes both objects and
processes (not the same meaning as in Erlang) first class citizens. This
allows for a very natural description of how data is processed and where
the functionality should be located.

I use it as a way to depict the high level architecture and data flow
more than anything else. It is sufficiently light weight to be done and
maintained and expressive enough to have conversations about what is
going on.

If you want to model an Erlang process with OPM it would come out as an
object (sounds weird, but stay with me) that exhibits a number of
processes (where a process is an API function of the process).

I have not tried the tool that has been developed for OPM - I made my
own stencil for Dia.

Other nice features of OPM:

  * there is a 1-to-1 mapping between the graphical representation and
    its textual one.
  * you can zoom in and out in your model - not seen with UML or
    anything else.

But you would have to get the OPM tool or write some tool yourself to
get the most out of these things.

Cheers,
___
  /orben