[erlang-questions] [ANN] EGTM: embedded ACID compliant NoSQL engine for Erlang

Tomas Morstein tmr@REDACTED
Fri Aug 24 02:20:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

Yes, MUMPS is somehow "hidden" from mainstream for more over
40 years (it was operating system for DEC PDP minicomputers,
similarly like early UNIX versions).
Maybe it was also the reason why one of its commercial
implementations is called Caché (= hidden in French) :-)

To answer your questions:

(1) to be honest, I don't like benchmarks so much. We don't
know RIAK well enough to compare to. I also think that RIAK
is much more high-level DB than GT.M/EGTM.

If you're asking for speed, I can tell you only stories
about M compared to relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL,
Oracle, MS-SQL). In short, even if we wanted to be fair
and artificially slowed down the M task by significant
anti-optimalizations, the SQL did the job for hours where
it took a few minutes in MUMPS.
I will not share these "benchmarks" publicly as they're
good only for marketing, not for any fair, serious and
meaningful technology competition.
The number of factors and input variables is not small
and especially when it comes to NoSQL and distributed
environment, I'd say it's not comparable at all.

But because I am interested too, let's open a competition
like this:
- try to define a sensible test scenario (what's the goal,
what we're going to measure);
- implement it with RIAK;
- I will implement the same scenario with GT.M in meantime
  (in both variants: native M code and EGTM-powered Erlang)
- we can compare then...

(2) according to IODB, it is something we're using in production,
but it's not ready to be released to public yet.
Actually, we're working on a brand new model compiler (what
unlocks a lot of new features as well as much better performance)
and we will probably change some general API functions to make
it more comfortable to use.
So the only I can say at the moment is: stay tuned! :-)

Since we use some IODB objects from JavaScript, we have also
a simple IODB REST API implemented as a ChicagoBoss controller
what is a part of IDEA CloudOS where we also plan some web GUI
management (EGTM Global browser, IODB model manager, etc.),
but this is definitely on our wishlist...

(3) what actually came into my mind (but I am not sure about
its value in practical life):
- EGTM seems to be a good adept to act as a Mnesia backend
  (it can break all the DETS limits I am aware of)
- what about employing EGTM as a RIAK storage backend? :-)
  (For example, I have experimented with GT.M as a backend
  for OpenLDAP around three years ago.)

Regards,
Tom.