[erlang-questions] Starting slave with erl_boot_server giving bad_return

Chris Cook <>
Mon Aug 6 21:52:24 CEST 2012

Good Evening List,

I have been playing around trying to get a slave starting with
erl_boot_server, using a testapp, in a release state using reltools. I
start master with following:

./erl -id master -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -run
erl_boot_server start [ip_addr]

all starts fine, run:

and then try to start the slave:

erl -id slave -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -loader inet
-loader_debug -hosts [master_ip] -boot

this gives me

Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [rq:1] [async-threads:0]

=INFO REPORT==== 6-Aug-2012::20:34:41 ===
    application: testapp
    exited: {bad_return,
    type: permanent

but when I run the start.boot script like on the machine all the code
resides on:

./erl -id master -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -boot start

everything start correctly.

Can anyone help? The only other information I've come across when
googling for problems like this is
from 2008 with no replies any help would be much appreciated.

Chris Cook.