[erlang-questions] Starting slave with erl_boot_server giving bad_return

Chris Cook cookchrisd@REDACTED
Mon Aug 6 21:52:24 CEST 2012

Good Evening List,

I have been playing around trying to get a slave starting with
erl_boot_server, using a testapp, in a release state using reltools. I
start master with following:

./erl -id master -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -run
erl_boot_server start [ip_addr]

all starts fine, run:

erl_boot_server:add_slave('[slave_ip_addr]')

and then try to start the slave:

erl -id slave -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -loader inet
-loader_debug -hosts [master_ip] -boot
/home/chriscook/testapp/rel/bin/start

this gives me

Erlang R14B02 (erts-5.8.3) [source] [rq:1] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]

=INFO REPORT==== 6-Aug-2012::20:34:41 ===
    application: testapp
    exited: {bad_return,
                {{testapp_app,start,[normal,[]]},
                 {'EXIT',
                     {undef,
                         [{testapp_app,start,[normal,[]]},
                          {application_master,start_it_old,4}]}}}}
    type: permanent

but when I run the start.boot script like on the machine all the code
resides on:

./erl -id master -name '[name]@[host]' -setcookie test -boot start

everything start correctly.

Can anyone help? The only other information I've come across when
googling for problems like this is
http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/Working-with-erl-boot-server-td2107906.html
from 2008 with no replies any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris Cook.