[erlang-questions] [Dialyser] Type parametrized behaviours

Stavros Aronis aronisstav@REDACTED
Tue Apr 24 23:17:06 CEST 2012

Ok, I understand your original approach now. It is indeed clever and
reduces duplication.

The only solution I can think of, while still using -callback attributes,
is to keep both the callback attributes and the old hrl file and end up
with two duplicate definitions (one in the callback attributes and one in
the specs that would be included and completed by the types in each
callback module). I agree that it is bad practice, but remember that
Dialyzer will check that the definitions are compatible so you will be
actively protected from code rot.

Callback attributes were added mainly as a way way to describe a
behaviour's interface better than comments and a list of exports that
originally existed. The benefit of using them instead of included -specs is
that you can have generic -callback attributes and more specific specs in
each callback module. In your case, where little or no further refinement
is needed, it turns out that using them leads to duplication.

As a final note, remember that you can always choose to shut off warning
categories. In your case it might be simpler to just shut off
behaviour-related warnings.

Stavros