[erlang-questions] A plead to use tags (or equivalent in your SCM system)

Heinz N. Gies heinz@REDACTED
Tue Apr 24 21:43:36 CEST 2012

Hi I've noticed that a lot of libraires depend on bleeding edge data I kind of find that disturbing it makes maintaining a stable environment close to impossible since one never knows

what I mean are lines like this:

{alog, ".*", {git, "https://github.com/siberian-fast-food/alogger.git", {branch, "master"}}}

now if the alogger people push a breaking change your application breaks when depending on it, even worst if you don't even use alogger yourself but a library you use uses it a change in alogger would break your application without you having direct influence on it :(.

So what I'd love to ask people who maintain libraries is use dependencies that have a fixed version and tag your own versions so people can do the same when using your stuff - please?

Regards,
Heinz

PS: I just choose alogger as an example since it was the first I found - I love the thing :)

--
Heinz N. Gies
heinz@REDACTED